Danville Local Schools Closure Updates 3/15/20
In an effort to slow the Coronavirus strand Covid-19, Governor Dewine has mandated that all school buildings in Ohio are closed to students and visitors beginning March 17 through April 3, 2020. Danville Local Schools have not yet been affected by the virus and until this point, the virus has not affected the education of the students. The goal with social distancing is to slow the spread of the virus so that the health care systems can adequately treat the symptoms of those who have been confirmed being infected.
Below are the guidelines that Danville Local Schools will be supporting and implementing to meet the Governor’s mandates and still support students’ academic and nutritional needs.
- Spring Break will now occur March 17th through March 20th (Tuesday through Friday)
- Students will now be in session April 6-9th. April 10th will be a non school day.
- Students and parents/guardians will have access to teachers beginning March 23rd by their school phone or email.
- In the event that we are still closed on April 6, we will begin online learning and other forms of distributing lessons to those who do not have internet access. This will be communicated as needed by ONECALL and social media.
- School staff will continue to clean and disinfect all buildings.
- All of this is subject to change as further directives are given by the state and the CDC.
- Parents/Guardians may pick up student medications in the nurse’s office Monday between 8 am and 3:00 pm.
- Students and their families are encouraged to continue reading, writing and practicing any other curriculum that is accessible to them at this time.
- At this time, teachers will not be mandating assignments to be completed and turned in. However, they will be available March 23 – April 3rd during regular school hours. You may contact them on their school phone or email if you have questions about resources they may suggest or recommend.
- Meals will be available for all students as requested. To help the school prepare, a survey to request meals will be coming to you via ONECALL on Tuesday, March 17.
- Delivery of meals will be by bus following the regular bus routes. These deliveries will be beginning at approximately 11:15 am on March 23 and each weekday following.
- School staff members will be helping distribute the meals from the bus to the student or a family member waiting at the regular bus stop.
- Each meal delivery includes breakfast and one main meal Monday through Friday beginning March 23rd.
- Students who request meals and are current bus riders will have meals delivered. All other students who request meals may pick them up at the bus loop at the elementary building at 11:30 am daily.
- Staff only until April 6th.
- All non school group building users are also suspended at this time.
- All banquets, musicals and athletic activities are suspended until April 6th. At that time, we will reevaluate and determine whether or not we will be rescheduling those activities.
- I would also be conservative in spending money and making plans that evolve around other end of the year “mass gathering” activities that are usually part of our activities. As it is very possible that the mandate against “mass gatherings” will be around into the summer months.
Thanks for your patience and cooperation in these unprecedented times. As a community, we will make it through these challenging days. If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me by phone or email.
Mr. Jason Snively – Superintendent, Danville Local Schools